Saturday, October 14, 2006

"It's just these TransAtlantic phone calls! I don't know if it's the Trans, or the Atlantic, or the fact that it's 2 o'clock in the morning, but Helen Keller and Stephen Hawking could have a more connected conversation."
"Helen Keller's dead"
"Yeah, well even dead, she could do better. It's just so awkward and pausey, and I feel like the more I try to connect, the more disconnected I feel. And I just feel like I'm working so hard, but maybe I shouldn't be having to work so hard , and then I feel self-conscious but I shouldn't feel self-conscious, so then I feel self-conscious about that. I don't know. Maybe it's just the salt in the ocean, it corrodes conversations or something."
"Yeah, it sounds like the salt"

The previous conversation was from this past week's Gilmore Girls episode. I found it particularly fitting for my life, although it would have been helpful had it been in an episode about 10 months ago. Because that's EXACTLY how things have felt on the phone with Justin for SO long. And it's hurt and this puts my thoughts into words exactly. The Gilmore Girls tends to do this on a regular basis.

"I'm just worried. I mean, we talk to each other on the phone every day, but I just don't think that that's enough to keep this relationship going. I guess I never realized how important the other stuff was."
"The sex stuff?"
"And the holding hands, and the falling asleep next to each other stuff. I mean, that's where all the crazy intimacy comes from, and without those options, when they're just taken away from you 'cause someone moves to London...uh*frustrated sigh*...desparate measures."

That was another convo, but this time between Rory and Lane. This also strikes very close to heart and home.

*sigh* I LOVE the Gilmore Girls. So wonderful. I wish I could watch Gilmore Girls all day long. I wish that's all I had to do tomorrow. However, unfortunately, I have to go in to work, and I have homework AND some other stuff. I'm beginning to feel like I need a day full of sloth. That means my stress level is HIGH. (not that I didn't know, but my skin is the latest casualty. My face looks HORRIBLE. I'm having some sort of reaction AND the cold weather we've had lately has added the fun of some gross looking dry patches too. Yuck.

Okay, back to watching my GG tape. Later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've never seen Gilmore Girls. it must be good - everyone seems to like it!

Anonymous said...

I hope Sunday was good and I totally agree - you DEFINATELY DESERVE a day to just sloth about. It's been well earned!