Sunday, July 23, 2006

Sunday musings

My friend Jessica came with me to the Sister Hazel/Toad the Wet Sprocket Concert. We didn't stay for the whole thing...really, we wanted to see Sister Hazel. Toad ended up being REALLY depressing sounding. I think Sister Hazel should've been the headliner, but hey, what do I know?

I am DONE with my classes for the summer! I have a break till August 22nd when I start my "fall" semester at the local university. I have a 400 level Linguistics class that I need to take (outside of my Fast Track Education program) that I'm sure will be LOADS of fun. Sigh. I think that my classes with Fast Track start up again in October. But, I'm not 100% sure. Anyway...I have a BREAK for about a month, with NO HOMEWORK. What the hell am I going to do with myself now?

I really really REALLY want a cat. I went to the local humane society's website and found some really cute cats. I particularly like Lilac and Lucy. I would rename the cat, of course. Ugh. Lilac for a cat? Only if it's purple! Isn't Lucy the CUTEST kitten you've ever seen?!?! I'm partial to smoky gray cats, if you couldn't tell. *sigh*. It's really expensive (for my budget anyway) to adopt a cat though--about $130 all told, for just the adoption alone from the Humane Society. That doesn't include the licensing, food and supplies either. Oy. Makes swiping a farm cat from my parents house much more appealing every day. I just don't know how expensive fixing and de-clawing would be.

My damn vacuum is currently busted. I pulled the big top section OFF the bottom section w/ the base & wheels. It's an upright Bissell. Whoopee. I can really afford a new vacuum right now, sure.

To add to things today--I'm feeling conflicted about my awesome college "woommies" engagement. Yup, Jen called me yesterday and told me she's officially getting hitched. And, I get to be a bridesmaid. Don't get me wrong, I'm SO excited for Jen and can't wait to meet him and will be thrilled to stand up there with her (especially since the last time she talked about b-maid dresses she was leaning towards black cocktail). However, this is, well let's see...time I'll be a bridesmaid NUMBER SIX. That's right, I'll have six dresses I've purchased and collected that I'll most likely never ever wear again. Since my sophomore year of college, I've been to fifteen weddings. I had a date, once, my boyfriend at the time. During many of those weddings, I had a boyfriend, who didn't think it was necessary or possible for him to come. During ONE of those weddings, I had just broken up with a boyfriend, which was about our year annivesary as well. Four of those weddings have been cousins and so I just went with my family. So, being dateless, not so bad. However, the others...the more I think about it, the more depressed I am.

My friend Gapp (1st name, Mike) is getting married Labor Day weekend. He and his fiance started dating about the same time Justin and I did. Justin probably won't be able and/or won't want to come to that with me. Dateless, again. I'm doubting he'll want to make the trip from Phoenix to Chicago for Jen's either. Fun FUN FUN! It's one thing if you live in the same city and one of you gets invited to a wedding. It's another when you're pulling LDR-duty.

I want to go eat a chocolate cake. Good thing I don't have access to one.

At least I don't have any homework tonight.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never been a bridesmaid. I'm kinda sad about it. I haven't really been to that many weddings either, well other then family.

Those kitties are really cute. Seeing all of them makes me think about wanting another....for a second. They are an expense, a long term one at that, with 3, I can vouch for that!

Anonymous said...

i've never been a bridesmaid. I do have a wedding to go to in less than 2 weeks, and of course I have no one to take. I told the bride to just sit me in the dateless wonder section.

L said...

ooo kitties! i have two, and they are gorgeous!
i know what you mean about the whole bridesmaid thing. i've been one three times, and that was plenty for me. its definately what influenced me to just have one for my wedding. i didnt want to put all of my friends through all the expense and stress (and ugly dresses)

Anonymous said...

Kitties! So, so so cute!

Man, that's a lot of bridesmaid dresses. Hopefully, your brides were all nice to you! I've only had one bad one - imagine,if you will, ROYAL. PURPLE. TAFFETA. (do I really need to continue?) Off the shoulder. Huge ROYAL. PURPLE. TAFFETA. BOW. across the shoulders - complete with big rhinestone pin in the center.
Damn. Thought I'd suppressed THAT memory. :)

And seriously, spend the money (!!) and buy the Dyson. My mom has one, and I seriously have vacuum cleaner envy. And I hate to vacuum.

Artistic Soul said...

I have never been a bridesmaid...so I have the opposite problem I guess. I'm not popular enough to be in weddings - lol. That should make you feel better that you have so many awesome friends!

Unknown said...

I'm like sassywife, never been a bridesmaid. Actually, I have yet to go to a wedding that wasn't either 1) family or 2) with my parents. It's kind of sad when I think about it.