Well folks, I decided to start a new blog--focusing solely on my teaching stuff. I'll probably cross post every once and awhile. In fact, I'm going to copy and paste part of my 1st post onto my blog for today.
Class was fun yesterday...long, but fun. It's interesting to be back in the academic swing of things again.
Ok, here's a chunk of my post. (eventually I'll have to go back to blogrolling to update my links. *sigh*)
The other blog has been created to chronicle my highs and lows, joys and trials while I'm completing the Fast Track Education program at College of St. Mary. I just started classes yesterday and I'm pretty jazzed about it. We have a lot of work for class, but it's work I'm excited about. I think, for my first class, LITERATURE FOR YOUNG ADULTS FOR TEACHERS, this is the best class I could be taking to start my teaching education experience. I really like our teacher so far, and it's a nice change to be in a learning environment that's all female.
We have to do journal entries as part of our class assignments. They are techinically "Reading Response Journals", meaning just what it sounds like: we have to talk about what we're reading and whatnot.One of our assigned books is I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou. I bought it last night after class and I'm on page 89, chapter 14. I like it so far, but sometimes the language, the way Angelou writes is hard for my to wrap my head around. Normally I'm not much of a critical thinker when it comes to reading, at least, not with books. I enjoy reading so much, simply for the story part of it, that I forget to analyze WHAT I'm thinking as I go along. I was doing really well for the first part of the book--underlining phrases that stuck out and trying to really try to react, internally, to the book. The book is supposed to be fairly dark, supposedly. That's what I got out of our first class meeting yesterday. There were two people there who vehemently opposed reading this book. Now that I'm into it, I'm not sure I get why. Justin (my boyfriend) and I talked about that briefly last night. He said "just depends what your background is".
So, I'm in class. I'm trying to work on assignments. If I don't post as much I'm sorry. Or, if my posts aren't very exciting. I'm sorry--oh well, deal with it.
Ok, I'm going to go collect s'more poems for our poetry chunk of stuff.
Sunday, March 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Good luck with the classes, I know how hard it can be to adjust.
Hey! Way to go! Sounds like a great program. Great job!! I am excited to see your progress and what you are working on!
I wish New York State had a fast track for 2nd career teachers. The only one they have is for inner city schools, and I am a country girl, they'd eat me alive! tee-hee! So, I am on the "slow boat to china" track, taking some courses via internet to fill the gaps before grad school.
Hey, at least we're going for it , right? :)
i love a good discussion. the journal is an approach that I've tried and it's good for stirring the juices. I found it really helped me to get the ideas down. It makes life easier when massaging them for an essay.
going back to school. That's going to be tough. Hope you do well :)
Post a Comment