So, also this past weekend, I added to my collection of Tarot decks. This is turning into an expensive hobby (like many of mine...my beads and beading can also be very expensive). Currently I have six decks. One of the sites that I look at frequently, related to Tarot is Aeclectic Tarot--I'm not sure who runs it, but it's very detailed and extensive (that's the word I'm looking for). I keep going there to look at articles and pictures of the MILLIONS (ok, a bit of hyperbole there) of Tarot decks out there.
So far, this is my collection.
1) Goddess Tarot--my 1st deck. I bought it (rather than a traditional Rider-Waite deck) because the idea of a female inspired deck was appealing and the pictures are pretty.
2) Spiral Tarot--2nd deck. I ogled it from afar for awhile (they had a sample card at some bookstore I was at once and I kept searching till I found it). I also picked it for the artwork, which I thought was beautiful.
3) Hanson-Roberts Tarot--3rd deck. I bought it because I'd like to do a reading for/on my brother. My 1st 2 decks are very feminine and I didn't think they'd work well for him. Plus, the artwork with this deck is very 70s-esque. Jared can be very retro and the deck just suits him. Notice I said "I'd like to..."--haven't done so yet. I figure I should have him there when I do that, I guess. :o)
4) Archeon Tarot--4th deck. I bought this deck during a recent funk. It's a lot darker than something I'd normally choose, but the artwork intrigued me. This deck has a lot more nudity than the rest of my decks and it seems more like it's nudity for the sake of being naked, not because the interpretation of a certain card warrants it. Oh well...
5) Arthurian Legend Tarot--5th deck. I really like the whole Arthurian Legend (even the Monty Python & the Holy Grail version...though for most years I couldn't stand that movie). My friend Linda also has this deck. She's been pretty influential in my tarot hobby (or whatever you want to call it).
6) Gilded Tarot--6th deck. Perhaps my prettiest deck and the one I just bought on Friday. I've been oogling it online at Aeclectic. I splurged--justified it by calling it my reward for doing well on the PPST.
So...that's my Tarot deck collection, so far. I'd like to add to it. My next deck I'd like to add is the Ancient Egyptian Tarot by Clive Barrett. I like Egyptian mythology too. Past that, I'm not sure what decks I might want.
Just for some brief background...I got into Tarot because it's fascinated me (since sometime in high school). Buying my 1st deck was almost like a relief...I'd always wondered about it, but had never had the courage. I don't read the cards a lot, but I like having them around. I guess I would read them more--if I wasn't lazy. I think a person should be really focused when doing readings and I've been having trouble focusing on much of anything for awhile now (the PPST studying was a real struggle for me...oy, getting back into classes is going to be TOUGH!) Anyway...Linda really got me into Tarot when I lived in good old H-town. She did readings for me and then things just kinda went from there. I now have about 5 books on tarot itself and individual books for my Spiral, Goddess, Arthurian and Gilded decks (the last 2 came w/ books as part of the set).
Lately though, I've been more interested in buying than in doing readings. I need to make myself buckle down I guess. I've looked thru my 4 newest decks, but haven't done any readings with them yet. Like I said, I guess I'm just waiting for some focus. ;o)
Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Tarot is something that has always fascinated me too. I haven't bought a deck yet but I think at some point in the near future I'm going to. I really love the Arthurian deck you have. How very, very pretty.
At the moment, I'm somewhat obsessed with Barbie. I've recently aquired: Wonder Woman, Super Girl and Galadriel (from LotR). And now I've started keeping an eye out for them on eBay. At this rate, I'm going to have to put up some special shelving just for the dolls.
I'm also keeping an eye out for Start Wars lightsaber Master Replicas. We saw these around Christmas and Dan really wanted one but they were really expensive. Well now, I see them everywhere and the price on these things is going down....
Sorry for the long comment...more of a post really!
BTW....anything from Jenn? I'm getting a bit worried that she'll never come back!
I'm a little off on my readings too. I'll have to bring you the decks I have in May. I have the basic RW set, but two others I don't quite remember what they are...one I use for daily readings, the other I barely touch. Maybe I should bust it out this summer and explore it again.
I have a deck myself.. Some of the readings really were on the money..I haven't done a reading in a few months.. Someone once told me to throw out my deck because it's bad luck.. I just laughed at that.
And yes beading can be very very expensive, but I love it!!
Very cool. One of my good friends was into Tarot in HS and College. It's very interesting. I had no idea there were so many decks! definately go for the Egyptian Deck!! That would be my favorite!!!
:)I would get that one for myself just to add to my Egyptian collection!!!
themarina: Barbie is one of those things I either love or hate. I like the collector's dolls, rather than the normal ones (for example the Scarlett O'Hara series and the Astrological signs series). Isn't it fun to see what people collect? I'm worried about Jenn too! Miss reading her wittiness.
wiccachicky: YES! Bring your decks and I'll bring mine & we can have fun. I might come out on Wednesday just for that purpose (although I haven't looked at flights yet...oy!)
katz: Which deck do you have? I'm glad you kept it, despite that silly person's comment. And, I love beading too, but when I look at your stuff, I feel like SUCH an amateur. (you rule!)
CC: I think you SHOULD buy the Egyptian deck (if you can find it...I've been having trouble, but I don't have any $$ right now, so there ya go). Anyway...if you had it I could live vicariously thru you till I got it ;o). And, it would be a cool addition to your Egypt collection.
reply to Amy:
I dont' know what kinda deck they are.. they came with a book. it's my first deck they seemed the easiest to understand. cards were designed by a Amy Zerner??
I'm sure your beaded stuff is like mine.. Unfortunately I had to rip down my blog again because of stalker dude. He found the new blog on saturday. This is getting ridiulous. he searched for a friends nickname and found my blog through her links. even found my blogger one from comments that had links to my profile. so yeah everything gonzo.. did you get a chance to see my beaded tree before I had to rip it down??
reply to Katz: yeah, I saw the beaded tree(s). Those were AMAZING. I don't have the stitching weaving abilities...my skill is in color combos. Like, I couldn't ever draw for shit when i was younger (still can't) but I could color/paint w/ great flair.
Post a Comment