shhh...if we get really quiet, maybe we can use SILENCE to make AIDS go away...
Yeah, right, and I'm a 98 pound trapeze artist.
I had to comment about the ridiculousness of this story, primarily b/c I think G-Dub (aka George Dubya) is a MORON and his politics/views are leading to ruination of a lot of things.
The only way to prevent the spread of AIDS is to EDUCATE. That includes banking on the fact that people are going to have sex. So, focusing ONLY on abstinence is folly. People have sex. Some people have a lot of sex. They should at least be informed that having safe sex is best, so that they can limit the spread of disease(s). And, in countries where education takes a back seat to survival at times...I'd say sex education for them goes hand in hand WITH survival. So, you can't just tell Joe Schmoe in Uganda not to have sex and leave it at that. Doesn't work so well buddy. Just b/c the idea of talking about people getting it on makes you queasy...well it makes me quesy thinking about all the millions of people out there, having unprotected sex because they don't KNOW any better (and don't even get me started on rape).
I think I need to email or write my Congresspeople (I actually got a letter from Senator Ben once when I signed some petition about birth control rights...something I'm also kinda fanatical about). I need to tell them that sending grant money to strictly religious groups who only promote abstinence is NOT practical. A nice idea, kinda warm & fuzzy, but not going to cut it.
Tuesday, January 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
i'm scared too. harper is a major bush supporter and the other day, literally 2 days after the election and before he was even sworn in, harper had a nice long chat with bush on the phone. scary. scary i say.
Post a Comment