I was just looking at my old high school's web page, b/c a) I was trying to find out when they had break b) I wondered when the musical was this spring (my mom & I usually go together) & while I was there, I wondered c) who the new Vocal Music teacher was. For me, this is an emotional subject.
I was (& still am, sorta) a BIG music nerd in high school. I did band, pep band (was pep band director for one year), small groups, choir, show choir & sang solos at school concerts. Wiccachicky and I actually met at over-night band camp in jr high. I was BIG into music and drama, b/c I really really suck at sports (I'm really un-coordinated). And b/c it was fun, and I was pretty good at it. Anyway...I'm probably more emotional about it than your average chick for a few reasons. 1) Summer before my senior year of college, my awesome high school band director, Soro, died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 32. (this is why I'll NEVER do Atkins). This was a major blow to me and preparing for my senior music recital that year was bittersweet, b/c I'd planned on inviting him to come watch. 2) My senior year of high school we hired a new choir director, Mr. Hays. Hays actually liked my voice and put me in show choir and I got a lot more respect as a singer (he's the one who told me I have a "broadway belt" voice...I'm SUCH a mezzo-soprano, with some sass, rather than a pretty opera type soprano voice.) Last year was Mr. Hays last year at BHS, b/c he'd gotten a job at the high school in the neighboring town, where he lives and where his kids go to school. So...anyway...
Back to finding out who the new vocal music teacher is: it's this guy I went to college with! And, normally, that wouldn't be a sore spot w/ me but a) this guy f$#*ed his girlfriend in the EAR once (he later dumped her) b) he's about as exciting as dry toast c) BHS is BIG on musicals and I think this guy is more uncoordinated than I am d) he just graduated from college in either 2003 or 2004, which is NOT that long ago.
Now, I'm just afraid to see the musical this year. I'm currently on the phone w/ my mom & she says she's heard (from a friend who's a teacher at my old high school) that things are NOT going well. What if it sucks? Oy...
Wednesday, December 21, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment