You all know that I don't get very political on here...normally (especially lately), I blog about my trials and tribulations related to matters of the opposite sex. Or work, or school, or friends or just whatever.
But today, I want to blog about something serious. Please check this out. It's about Darfur, in Sudan. If you haven't yet heard about what's going on over there (and believe me, it's horrendous), then I think you MUST be living under a rock in a hole in the ground. Selfish selfish!
This is from the Save Darfur website that I've been perusing today. It's from their Educate Others page.
"Hundreds of thousands of people around the world have responded to the suffering in Darfur by standing up and demanding that their governments take action to end the crisis. However, many individuals still have not heard about the genocide in Darfur.
To build the political will necessary to end the genocide it is imperative that more people learn about the security and humanitarian crisis in Darfur and find out how they can help end the genocide.
We have created materials to help you teach others about the ongoing genocide in Darfur. These resources include background information on the conflict in Darfur, a PowerPoint presentation, and recommendations for engaging your audience in advocacy activity on behalf of the people of Darfur."
I have decided I'm going to mail my senators and representatives letters regarding the situation. Especially since of the five people (yup, we be sparsely populated here), only ONE of them scored an "A" regarding their voting related to Darfur and humanitarian issues, and TWO of them scored "Ds" (jerks). I'm even going to mail the guy who doesn't technically represent me, but is the rep for my parents' district, b/c I still feel very tied to that locale too.
The Save Darfur website has LOTS of information and places to sign online petitions and sample letters for Congress-folks, etc. If you're at all interested in making a difference and trying to help the people of Darfur (but yet can't donate any money, b/c you're broke like me) then this is the way to do it folks.
So, let's do it to it!
Tuesday, November 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Thanks for the link. It never ceasses to amaze me how much stuff is going in the world that we haven't heard about...
BTW...I fed antonio.
;)
Thanks to people like George Clooney (who brought this to our attention over 6 months ago (http://www.sightssounds.net/nick_and_george_visit_dafur.htm)and most recently Anne Curry (my hero) Dafur is beginning to get the press it deserves to make people aware of this dispicable situation.
Good for you to post this info Amy. I shudder to think of other areas who are going thru similar traumas and are not being helped b/c noone has blown the whistle on it.
This is not a political issue. Human rights and the safety of human life should NEVER be a political issue. It's an ethical and moral responsibility to protect those who cannot defend themselves and their way of life.
I think Dafur goes much deeper than we even know, and since we are knee deep in Iraq's crap, we are hard pressed to send any real help to those who obviously desperately need our help.
Ohh, sorry. I just realized that my rant was as long as yours. I am on board with ya sister!:)
I'm w/ya - but until the corruprt governments are no longer in power, it almost seems like spinning wheels.
Post a Comment