I took the day off. For a number of reasons, but really mostly b/c I didn't want to be at work today. The goal was that I'd clean up a bit (all of my possessions have vomited themselves all over my apartment). However, all I've gotten done is start a load of laundry (my sheets) and have breakfast. And, have a brief phone convo w/ Wiccachicky.
I want to blog today about something that's been on my mind--something I've been stewing about, in a sense.
It has to do w/ my uncle Dave. Dave is my dad's brother, the middle of the three boys (there are seven of them all together, Phil, Dave, Donna, JoAnn, Janet, RoseMary and Dad). Anyway, Dave's wife, Marilyn Sue had type 2 diabetes. For a long time I don't think she really took care of herself like she should've. There were always cookies and sugared pop at their house. She died in 2004 (which was a SUCH shitty year--broke up with Tony, Gramma died, Marilyn Sue and then my fish Sunny died too). But, the last few years before then her health really declined. And in 2004 before she did pass, it was really bad. Dave was so stressed out and none of us ever saw him when the rest of the family got together.
Dave is currently seeing someone new. Her name is Tracy. They work at the same place, but in different departments. I met her the other weekend. I haven't seen Dave laugh that much in a LONG time. It was nice. She's nice. She's very normal, down to earth, etc. I see that they like each other, but I'm not sure about love. Although, in thinking about all this I'm not sure that I recognize love (in other people) right away. It takes me a longer time to observe that in a couple. I need to see them together several times before I can tell. And, that's partly b/c people are all so different, which is what makes relationships so different. There's a quote that I've always liked that's like you can't judge a relationship unless you're wrapped up in its arms. Anyway, if Dave is happy, then I'm happy for him. Because he suffered just as much as Marilyn Sue did. It's just, weird, a bit, that's all. I mean, Marilyn Sue was my aunt and she's a part of the family and well, it's strange not having her around any more. But, towards the end, they were both missing from family stuff. So, if this means that Dave is back, then great. Wonderful. Hooray and all that.
But, it's just not exactly the same.
Friday, August 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
yeah that is a tough situation. you want to be happy for him, but its a bit weird. i know.
Yes, I so know how you feel. Hopefully she is nice and normal and all that and not a deranged psycho bitch (which was my experience with the women who moved in after grandma and my aunt died). It's an odd adjustment, so don't feel like you have to be all hunky-dory with it immediately.
Post a Comment