Monday, June 05, 2006

Back from the LONG weekend

Long doesn't even begin to describe it. Don't get me wrong, I liked having the extra day off (who doesn't), but...I dunno. It just was a weird weekend.

Friday Mom & I went out to eat lunch at Kona Grill w/ Ricki, her old friend. (As in, friends for a long time...). We went shopping for a bit after (I got 2 new pairs of shoes!) and then Mom & I went to my house to eat before we went to see the Nickel Creek concert. It was AWESOME. Mom, Dad & I saw them in our state's capital city back in 2003. This weekend's concert was outdoors at a (kinda of) natural ampitheatre at a casino. As always Sara, Sean, Chris & their bassist Mark Schatz, were amazing. And, they did 2 great covers: Omaha by the Counting Crows (fabulous!) and Toxic by Britney Spears (HYSTERICAL!--Chris even put in some silly hip swinging dance moves). Ben Lee was the opening act and he was pretty great too--really darn funny, lots of self-deprecating humor, which I LOVE.

Saturday I started a new class--it focuses on multiculturalism and human relations (in the ed. field). I think it will be really interesting, but also it will be a LOT of work. *sigh*. I need to push myself to do some of my assignments starting tonight (it's a lot of self-reflection stuff mostly). On Saturday as part of our first class we went to a quilt show. We're there to not only look at some fabulous quilts, but to observe the sub-culture of quilters. It was pretty neat. I learned a lot. But, it was really hard for me to be there--the whole time I kept thinking about my Gramma. She quilted and I have about 5 of her quilts (including a few she made just for me), but I have always wished that she would've been able to teach me how to quilt (I have the basic ideas down, but have never tried out the theories or put knowledge to practice). I know that part of my emotionalness during the show is some (silly) guilt about feeling like I was a crappy grandkid (I wasn't...but I'm always really hard on myself). But, mostly it's just b/c I really really miss her. So, I separated off from most of my classmates to wander around by myself. See, even now I'm tearing up thinking about all this. *sniffle*

So...I was all emotional and just in a generally crappy mood for the rest of Saturday. I really wanted to go to a movie, but just wasn't feeling up to going by myself. I called a few people--no one answered & no one called back either (that night at least). I was feeling pretty shitty. So I stayed home & took a nap and then watched the rest of a DVD, then went to bed & didn't get out till 12:15 on Sunday.

Yesterday I got to see Kit & Brian & that was awesome--exactly what I needed.

I just wish I knew why I was so sad all night long on Saturday...that seemed a little extreme.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it weird how something that seems so insignificant can trigger such an emotional response?

My mom's a quilter. Once I learn, I'll be the fourth generation quilt-maker in my family. I, like you, share a scary fondness for quilts. I go every year to the fair (we havve one of the largest county fairs in the country here - seriously!) and waste tons of time looking at the quilts.

Artistic Soul said...

I know why you were sad! That's like classic wiccachicky "severe loss complex" at work. Obviously, you miss your gramma!! On top of that, not being able to find anyone to talk to about it or to distract you probably made it worse, because you and I both know you are not the type that likes to be left alone when you are upset about something. ;)

I hope you feel better now. A long day ahead of me here...we'll see how it goes.