I'm finished judging the state speech contest...for today at least. I judged:
1) inform (just what it sounds like...some interesting topics)
2) POI = program of oral interpretation: prose, poetry & drama stuff all meshed together. Performance & interp based
3) Persuasion = they want you to do or believe something AND
4) CA = communication analysis. You pick some thing (an exhibit, a commercial, a book, something trying to communicate a msg to people) and analyze it using a theory. Most of the theories were brand-spanking new (as in developed in the last few years or so...hmmm). I saw THREE speeches in this round with the SAME topic. They at least used different theories to analyze the same thing. It's this Belgian UNICEF commercial featuring the Smurfs being bombed. Weird. I'm sure it's out on the net somewhere...should try to find it. It's certainly interesting.
Now, I get to sit around & wait for Kittie while she finishes up in the TAB room (where they do fun math & count up all the kids' scores & see who rules, who's cool for school & who sucks). We're eating dinner at Grisanti's tonight. Yummers!
Saturday, February 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Grisanti's!!!! Damn I miss that place. It's so good!!! I wish there was one out here. We only have Olive Garden. Though they just put in a new Italian place down the street, but we haven't been there yet.
That sounds like a cool day! How fun to be a judge. One thing tho...did I see the words "fun math"?? There is nothing fun about Math! (ok so I have issues, don't mind me!) :)
"bbhho"
i never did speech tournaments but does debate count? i LOVED my years on the debate team. it's helped make me a really great bullshitter.
Post a Comment